Consumption thought out

I am writing to commend Daniel Cerrone on his insightful and brave commentary on alcohol consumption ("Rethinking alcohol consumption," April 4). I agree completely with Cerrone. I often find myself disgusted at the abhorrent behavior of good people under the influence of alcohol. Why not have more respect for ourselves as human beings and intellectuals? Why willingly surrender control of your body and mind to a liquid?

The recreational consumption of alcohol is something I will never understand. Everyone has the right to make their own decisions regarding their own bodies. My real problem with alcohol is when the others' recreational drinking infringes on my life. Drunk drivers kill many innocent victims every year. I have been rudely awakened at 4:00 a.m. by drunk girls shrieking in the hallway. I've seen vomit on sidewalks that are supposed to serve everyone. Where is the consideration for others?

Recreational use of alcohol too often turns normally decent people into inconsiderate pigs. I for one am sick and tired of having my safety and comfort compromised by those who have surrendered themselves to alcohol. I call on my fellow students to make responsible and polite choices regarding alcohol. If you do choose to drink, never drive. Also, try to remember that the world does not revolve around you and your drunken escapades. Thanks!

Kelsey Robertson

sophomore

Regina Hall

April 7