Men's Track: Irish sprinters excel at Poehlein Invitational

Although Notre Dame was split all across country, many come back to campus with performances to be proud of.

The majority of Irish sprinters finished well at the Mike Poehlein Invitational in West Lafayette, Ind., over the weekend. Freshman Chandler Brooks started it off with a sixth-place performance in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.33 seconds. Brooks also finished with 22.97 seconds in the 200-meter dash to finish seventh. Fellow freshman Miklos Szebeny took third in the same race with a time of 22.33 seconds. Sophomore Balazs Molnar dominated the competition place first in the 400-dash, running it in 48 seconds to match his time in the 2008 Big East Indoor Invitational.

Freshman Kevin Labus finished third in the 800 with a time of 1:56.18. Other top performances at the Poehlein Invitational included junior Kevin McFadden who finished first with a time of 3:57.43 in the 1,500-meter run. Freshmen Spencer Carter and Ryan Gamboa followed close behind with fourth and fifth-place finishes respectively.

Junior Kevin Veselik and Matt Abernathy took second and third in the 5,000 while seniors Dan Curran and Mike Popejoy took first and second, respectively, in the 10,000.

Senior Austin Wechter finished second in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 53.87. Wechter currently ranks fifth in the Big East conference standings.

As for field events, junior Blair Majcina started out the Irish in the high jump with a leap of 2.02 meters. Sophomore Eric Quick took first in the long jump and third in the triple jump. With his final jump of 7.53-meters, Quick qualified for the NCAA Regional Outdoor Meet in the long jump.

For the Irish throwers, senior Mike Schubert and freshmen Denes Veres and John Belcher took first, second, and third in the shot put. Schubert and Veres qualified for the NCAA Regional meet as well. Sophomore Brandon Denon finished second in the discus with a throw of 51.18-meters.

The rest of the the Irish ran at the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, Calif. Senior Adam Currie ran in the 800 with a time of 1:50.67, placing him eighth in the Big East standings. Senior Jake Watson finished third in the highly competitive 1,500 with a time of 3:43.39. Junior Patrick Smyth stayed consistent with a time of 13:46.73, finishing eighth.

The Irish resume action Saturday at both the Mississippi Open in Oxford, Miss., and the Spartan Invitational in East Lansing, Mich.