SMC Softball: Belles clinch MIAA tourney spot

Saint Mary's clinched a spot in the postseason tournament and assured at least a third-place finish with two wins over Kalamazoo Wednesday.

The Belles (22-7 overall, 11-3 MIAA) made the conference tournament for the third straight year.

Coach Erin Sullivan said the Belles met both of their season goals with the wins. Those goals were to win 20 games and to make the tournament.

The Belles won game one of the doubleheader by a score of 8-2. The Hornets posted the first run of the day in the bottom of the first inning, but Saint Mary's answered with four more in the top of the second.

In game two, Saint Mary's scored five runs in the bottom of the third inning and four more in the bottom of the fifth to win 9-1 in a game shortened by the mercy rule.

Junior Calli Davison pitched complete games in both contests, improving her record to 11-7. Senior McKenna Corrigan, who usually pitches the second game of a Belles doubleheader, was needed to cover a crucial infield position.

"Calli [Davidson] had a great first game, and our third baseman when McKenna pitches was unable to play today," she said. "It was also great to get Calli two wins."

Sophomore Ashley Peterson had another productive day, going 3-for-4 in the first game and 3-for-3 with a home run in the second. Her 51 hits are two shy of the College's record for hits in a single season.

The Belles are now looking ahead to a doubleheader against conference co-leader Tri-State. A sweep of Tri-State, combined with two losses by co-leader Alma, would give Saint Mary's the regular-season title.

Sullivan said the team will do all it can to claim the title, but will not worry about what they cannot control.

"All we are focusing on is winning two on Saturday," she said.

The MIAA tournament, to which the top four teams are invited, begins on May 1 and is held at the campus of the conference leader.