A thanks to NDSP

Dear Mr. Chapman,

In response to the Observer article "Authorities arrest 34 during first home game" (Sept. 9), we, the Notre Dame student body, appreciate both your fine police work this weekend (34 arrests!) and your friendly promises for more fine police work in the near future: "Be responsible for your conduct ... underage drinkers will be arrested on campus and at tailgate parties."

You should, however, be well aware that threats such as the one you issued in yesterday's Observer aren't even necessary. Any Notre Dame student who has ventured off campus in the last two years has already had ample practice looking over their shoulders.

We completely agree that a Library Parking lot, tailgate Natty (which, thank god, you are successfully combating) is far more dangerous to our well-being than the increasing off campus violence.

It's comforting to know that we should both fear local police on game day mornings (when we need them the least), and fear the absence of local police on game day nights (when we need them the most). Obviously we understand NDSP's jurisdiction ends at Main Gate, but since you so proudly catalogue your successes (34 arrests!) this weekend "working with Indiana State Excise Police, St. Joseph County Police, and South Bend Police" what's to stop you from collaborating again to better protect us off campus?

It's heartwarming to realize that NDSP has their priorities straight, and the best interests of this student body in their hearts.

Bottom Line: Don't kid yourself that trumpeting 34 arrests by local law enforcement on the Observer's front page remotely makes up for local law enforcement's inability to protect us off campus or to apprehend those who are carrying out these violent assaults. It's an absolute joke that the NDSP spends our money buying ridiculous-looking, combat-ready ATV's to facilitate the crime fighting efforts of its overweight officers, instead of investigating more successful avenues to shore up off campus security for our student body.

Underage drinking is illegal, but increasing off campus violence against this student body should be of far greater concern. Keep us safe from off campus violence, and until then, stop talking in the Observer. You don't deserve the face time.

Sincerely,

Ted Heilbron

sophomore

Dillon Hall

Sept. 9