COR: Group approves appointment

The Council of Representatives (COR) unanimously approved the appointment of sophomore Kate Clitheroe as Freshman Class Council Liaison at its meeting Tuesday.

Clitheroe served as the Freshman Class Council President last year and is currently serving as sophomore class vice president. She also serves as the spirit commissioner of Lewis Hall and is a member of the Circle K club.

Clitheroe's new position is important because freshmen serving on class council are always in need of some guidance, according to Sophomore Class President Cynthia Weber.

"Freshman Class Council has been assembled, but people don't really know what they're doing," she said.

Weber said that in her own experiences as a member of Freshman Class Council last year, the former sophomore advisor, Jeff Lakusta, helped to keep the group focused.

"In a friendly way, he shot down some of our dumber ideas," she said.

Clitheroe will be in a position to "inspire leadership in the freshmen," Weber said.

Clitheroe said that her position as sophomore class vice president will not distract her from being an available sophomore advisor. Instead, it will enhance her value to the Freshman Class Council team.

"We're going to be more collaborative this year, so we'll be good," she said.

As sophomore liaison, she will be required to "attend Freshman Class Council meetings, assist them in making feasible goals, guide their event planning, and encourage them to build class unity," Weber said in a letter distributed to COR members.

Following Clitheroe's confirmation, the council discussed the new "What's the Deal with...?" question series that will be conducted by the student outreach committee. The series is designed to "dispel some myths about the bigger mysteries of the University that really don't need to be bigger mysteries, but it's just that no one has ever explained them," student body president Bob Reish said.

Reish proposed topics including how the commencement speaker is chosen, what the actual rules regarding Breytopia are and how DART times are chosen for the series.

Reish said that the plan for the series is "to ask whoever's in charge of [a particular issue] and summarize it in layman's terms."

Junior class president Kim Kyroac said that she liked the question series idea, but that she didn't know how students are going to hear the answers. Reish suggested several options to disseminate the information, including buying an advertisement in The Observer and sending weekly e-mails to students.

Reish said that he doesn't anticipate problems getting cooperation from the University on this project. "University officials don't mind informing students about this stuff," he said. "Informing students and being transparent is what [Student Body Vice President] Grant [Schmidt] and I are all about."

In other COR news

uReish said that the free student movie "rental" program will begin within the next three weeks. The program is just waiting on "logistics," he said.