Daniels assumes position as director

Patrick Daniels began his time at Saint Mary's as the College's new director of student involvement the same time as the freshmen arrived; moving into his office in the Student Center as first-year students moved into their residence halls.

Daniels, who came to Saint Mary's from Towson University in Towson, Md., where he was the director of student activities. He spent eight years at Western Michigan University where he served many different roles, including director of student activities and leadership programs.

He will oversee 25 student workers and more than 60 student organizations as they plan events for the College.

"I am the one who advises, rather than supervises," he said in an Aug. 29 statement. "I give students suggestions and recommendations and point them in the right direction, but they make the decisions."

Daniels decided to take the position with the College to be closer to members of his family, who live in Michigan. He also wanted to the opportunity to work more directly with students.

"At my previous institutions my job duties and responsibilities did not allow much opportunity to work directly with students," he said in an e-mail Monday. "Saint Mary's provides me that and it is something I look forward to."

Daniels has many goals laid out to improve the student involvement office that will change the way the office functions in relation to students.

"[I want] to enhance the offerings of programs and services, develop new programs and services where appropriate [and] to evaluate 'why we do what we do' as it relates to our programs and services for our students," he said. "[I want] to empower and challenge students as it relates to their leadership, personal development and life skills."

He said he will build on the programs and services Karen Siron, the former director of student involvement who left for undisclosed reasons, put in place during her year-long tenure.

Daniels also said everyone on campus has been very kind and welcoming as he transitions into a new post at a new school and he is looking forward to a good year.

"This is definitely where I want to be and I appreciate the wonderful opportunity given to me to be here," he said.