Raytheon's money is blood money

In response to Matt Florian's Sept. 11 Letter to the Editor ("Notre Dame presence essential in CIA, Raytheon"), he may have a point when he said that Notre Dame graduates should pursue jobs in the CIA in order to change it, but he has no case whatsoever in claiming that Notre Dame students should pursue a career with Raytheon, a weapons manufacturer. Although it is doubtful that one would have the power to "think twice" when making a tough decision in the CIA, an organization that has little room for moral problems and places emphasis on obedience to orders with little respect for human rights, it is ludicrous to suggest that taking a job with a weapons manufacturer would change it in any way. Raytheon would continue to manufacture its bombs and other weapons for its own benefit and its investors' at the expense of countless innocent people. It would be like taking a job at Starbuck's when you are morally opposed to coffee. Although Raytheon may use the euphemism "technology leader specializing in defense, homeland security and other government markets," let's not deceive ourselves: They are making things that will kill other people, and any Notre Dame student who takes a job with them is intrinsically part of that mission.In addition, Notre Dame should not accept the blood money given to sponsor its Class of 2009 Senior Kick-off Event by Raytheon. I am ashamed that this Catholic university has done so, despite the pope's condemnation of torture and the arms trade. Notre Dame does not allow Planned Parenthood at its Career Fair, so why should it allow Raytheon and the CIA - Are all not responsible for the deaths of innocent people?"That weapons of war are bought and sold almost as if they were simply another commodity like appliances or industrial machinery is a serious moral disorder in today's world. ... Jobs at home cannot justify exporting the means of war abroad," U.S. Catholic Bishops, 1995 "Sowing Weapons of War"

Claire BrosnihansophomorePasquerilla East HallSept. 11