Save the Dillon Pep Rally

I have wanted to contribute to The Observer but something always came up to keep me from writing. Nonetheless, I cannot ignore the recent travesty that has occurred.

Many of you are probably unaware that the Dillon Hall Pep Rally has been cancelled. Some of you will be affected by this; some of you probably could not be more apathetic. Yet, as a proud Dillonite, I believe our signature event is one of the greatest traditions of Notre Dame and should not go down without a fight.

In my first year as a timid freshman, the pep rally was my introduction to the cool character that is Dillon Hall. After the extremely awkward times of Domerfest and the myriad of other Frosh-O activities, I was as apprehensive about my hall and even my college choice as an 18-year-old can be. That all changed after being a part of the Dillon Hall Pep Rally. Whether it was unexpectedly catching our distinguished hall rector as he performed a flying leap from the stage or laughing along with my fellow hall mates, it was the pep rally that galvanized my newfound friendships and reinforced my identity as a proud member of the Dillon Hall family.

Equally important was the event itself which revealed the true characteristics of a Dillonite. With performances marked by a decided swagger, a sharp tongue, and the perfect dose of self deprecation, I knew that I had found my new home. Likewise, returning my sophomore year, I was anxious to see what the gifted comics of my hall had in store for us, and in spite of their short time to prepare, the group delivered and welcomed a new group of freshmen to the Dillon Hall family.

The Dillon Hall Pep Rally is not about jokes or punch lines; it is about fostering camaraderie and celebrating one of the best traditions of Notre Dame. Though my 11th hour defense may come at a time too late to save the event, I implore the Notre Dame community to rally behind the continuance of our pep rally. If you have ever laughed at our event, found it to be even mildly entertaining or just believe in the sanctity of one of the great traditions of Notre Dame, please do something to fix this error and show that the Dillon Hall Pep Rally means far more than a couple of off-color jokes.

I know what the event means to me; Notre Dame community, please show it means something to you.

John Martell

junior

Dillon Hall

Aug. 31