SMC Cross-Country: Belles place fourth in the Hokem Karem race

The Saint Mary's Cross Country team traveled to Crawfordsville, Ind., on Saturday and placed fourth in the Hokem Karem race, an event known for its peculiarity.

"The Hokem Karem isn't a traditional race," head coach Jackie Bauters said. "It is a relay with pairs, where each pair runs 2 x 1 mile race for a total of four miles per pair."

The scores were based on the top three finishers from each team.

The first Belles to cross the finish line were junior Megan McClowry, and freshman Arianne Rodriguez. McClowry and Rodriguez finished 10th overall with a time of 23:45. Rodriguez is a native of Sandusky, Ohio and McClowry is from Naperville, Illinois.

The second team to cross the finish line for the Belles was senior Caitlin Brodmerkel and freshman Joanne Almond. This pair finished 19th overall with a time of 24:44.

Another Saint Mary's team finished just behind Brodmerkel, and Almond. Sophomores, Caite Salyer, and Clare McVey finished 20th overall with a time of 24:56.

With these finishes the Belles finished with a score of 38. Indiana Tech claimed the victory in the race.

"The team is looking great," Bauters said. "And while I believe they are all working very hard, without much outside competition I think it isn't as true a representation of what they're capable of at this time. We have work to do but I'm very happy with the start to the season."

Senior Becca Mason and freshman Hanna Vicary finished 28th overall with a time of 25:45.

Sophomore Kristy Kucharski and senior captain Alicen Miller were next across the finish line with a time of 26:17.

The team of sophomore Angie Bronicki and junior Ellen Pfister finished 45th in the race with a time of 27:31. Right behind them was the team of senior Caitlin Stevenson and junior Kelly Payne in 46th place, only six seconds behind Bronicki and Pfister.

Senior Erin Seidlemann and sophomore Lauren Easton finished 47th at 27:52. Junior Kate Peters and sophomore Stephanie Waite finished 49 with a time of 29:12. Freshman Cece Witous and junior Taylor Flaherty finished 50 with a time of 29:31.

"So far I believe they are handling the balance of being a student-athlete well," Bauters said. "I believe the team and myself really try to create a supportive, positive environment for everyone to succeed in. While the first week was a bit of a jolt back to reality, they all have continued to be 100 percent on their game at practice."

The Belles will travel to the Bradley Invitational next Friday in Peoria, Ill.