SMC Soccer: Squad drops one-goal game on the road at Manchester

Through tough rain and torrent winds the Belles fought. But in the end, they just couldn't avoid another second half meltdown and were defeated 2-1 at Manchester Wednesday evening.

Saint Mary's came out with something to prove after dropping its first two matches of the season, and jumped on Manchester by scoring the first goal of the game. Freshman standout Taylor Paton assisted junior forward Sam Smogor on her first goal of the season in the 27th minute to give the Belles an early 1-0 lead.

Saint Mary's continued to dominate play throughout the remainder of the first half, outshooting Manchester 5-2.

However, like in the previous two games, the second half proved unkind to the Belles.

After the second rain delay forced a lengthened halftime, Manchester came out and evened up the score just over three minutes into the second period.

Saint Mary's had plenty of chances, but could not find the back of net in the second half which they have been unable to do so far this season.

In the 68th minute, the Spartans netted another goal to take a decisive 2-1 lead which they would never relinquish.

The Belles finished the match with twelve shots on goal, seven more than the Spartans, and seven corner kicks, six more than the Spartans.

Senior goalie Nicole Beier got her second start of the season and played all 90 minutes in the net for the Belles.

So far this season, second half woes have been the Achilles heel for the Belles, who have been outscored 5-0 after halftime.

This loss drops Saint Mary's to 0-3-0 on the season. The Belles will try to regroup during a 10-day break from competition. They return to the field again for the North Central College Tournament in Naperville, Ill. They will take on Mount Mercy in their opening-round game Sept. 13.