Voting offers best form of protest

Why vote?

Why bother, especially in today's world of complicated issues, deceitful politicians and a seeming decline in American freedom?

The decision not to vote ("Don't vote," Sept. 29) is an extreme one, no matter what the situation. You can be morally opposed to policies held by both candidates, but still support and vote for one of them.

The US Conference of Catholic Bishops advises Catholics to weigh the importance of various issues, and that is what we urge all students to do this November. It is the nature of representative democracy to compromise, and Americans will have to compromise if anything is to be accomplished.

Refusal to negotiate on issues, or to vote period, makes it difficult to see your views cause any change.

It is true that Americans are facing difficult decisions this November. However, we disagree with Plonka's assertion that "The liberty and freedom this country was founded on, consistently paid lip service by politicians and citizens alike, have consistently eroded (when not denied altogether) since that foundation."

If one disagrees with government policies, voting is one's first method of protest against those actions. Someone will be elected, and if you sit out the debate, you have little to no effect on the process.

Even if you believe the presidential candidates to be unsatisfactory, perhaps consider voting for a third party candidate; this may have more of an effect than altogether abstaining.

If you, like Plonka, feel you cannot in good conscience vote for anyone in the presidential race, there are still local and state elections that are just as important.

There will be officials elected this fall, and it is up to you to make your voice heard.

Joe Stranix

senior

Dillon Hall

Ally Brantley

senior

off campus

Sept. 29