Weis follows in Brady's footsteps

Irish coach Charlie Weis suffered a torn MCL and ACL during the second quarter of Saturday's game. Junior linebacker John Ryan blindsided the coach after he was knocked out of bounds by a Michigan blocker.

Weis wore a brace in the second half and said that he would forego surgery at this point in order to stay on track with his coaching duties.

"I'll show up as a coach, but I'll be gone for the year as a player. Tommy Brady's got nothing on me," Weis said while joking with reporters at the post game press conference.

Weis then added: "I feel like an athlete for the first time in my life."

Weis said that he will hold off on surgery for the forseeable future so that he does not miss any time at work.

Lou's in townThe 1988 National Championship team was in town this weekend to honor coach Lou Holtz, who had a statue dedicated to him Saturday morning. Their inspiration, Weis said, ended Friday night after the pep rally, where the '88 squad was honored and Holtz spoke.

"We used them yesterday," Weis said. "Today was ours. Today, it was not Lou, it was not the '88 team, it was those guys in that locker room, stepping up trying to earn respect."

Firing out of the gatesNotre Dame's 21 points in the first quarter Saturday is the most the Irish have scored in the first quarter since their 38-3 victory over Washington in 2004. It also ties the record for most points in a quarter against Michigan. The mark was first set in the fourth quarter of Notre Dame's 28-20 comeback victory in 2004.

Knock on woodFor the second game in a row, the Irish offensive line did not give up a sack after giving up an NCAA-worst 4.8 sacks per game in 2007. At the post-game press conference, when asked to comment on the turnaround, Weis began knocking on his wooden podium and said, "Let's leave it at that."

Going deepGolden Tate's 60-yard reception in the second quarter was the longest offensive play for the Irish since former tight end John Carlson made a 62-yard reception against Michigan State in 2006.

The 300 ClubThis weekend's win was the 300th victory at Notre Dame Stadium for the Irish. The stadium first opened in 1930 and the Irish won their first ever home game on Oct. 4 of that year in a 20-14 game against Souther Methodist University

Floyd on the fieldFreshman wide receiver Michael Floyd started and saw most of the snaps at receiver for the Irish in his second game at Notre Dame. Floyd played in place of David Grimes. "What got [Floyd] on the field so much was David's back," Weis said. "Michael's behind him and the last couple days of the week David's back tightened up."

Floyd had two catches for 10 yards in the game but also drew a pair of pass interference class that put the Irish in good field position.

Three-headed monsterThe Notre Dame backfield continued to rotate with Robert Hughes, James Aldridge and Armando Allen all receiving carries. Hughes led the way with 19, but Aldridge who did not see any action against San Diego State also had nine carries. Allen was the main back in week one but only picked up four yards on two carries against a stout Michigan defense.