Attire isn't everything

While I agree with a majority of Mr. Mooney's letter ("Of colors and T-shirts," Oct. 7), I must object strongly to the unfair stab he took at students who choose to deviate from the normal student attire.

Going into this season, I knew that I had precious few games left as a student to enjoy. I thought long and hard about how I could best celebrate and enjoy those games. Without a doubt, Notre Dame football is a spectacle. What better way to celebrate that that to make a spectacle out of my appearance?

I proudly admit that I am one of those students who thinks it is "really cool or funny" to wear something other than The Shirt. For the Michigan game I donned a set of overalls with rolled up pant legs over a bright green Irish shirt and a sweet bandanna. You may have spotted me during the Purdue game sporting a referee shirt complete with cutoff jean shorts (a.k.a "jorts") and argyle socks.

I'd also like to point out that a number of students in the seats surrounding me have taken up this noble practice, and there is a mutual respect and admiration between those who dress outside the box. I don't do this to call attention to myself or to separate myself from the student body. I am merely celebrating and supporting the football team in a different manner than the rest of the student section.

I am just as much a fanatic and supporter of our team and University as everyone else. The last time I checked, this is America, where a fan can support his team any way he pleases.

On a final note, the next home game against Pittsburgh falls on the day after Halloween. I can only hope that a large part of the student body decides to wear a creative costume in order to celebrate Notre Dame, Halloween, and our First Amendment rights.

Go Irish!

Dan Fanuele

senior

off campus

Oct. 7