Dems say club is 'fired up' for the Obama-Biden ticket

For many students, this is the first election they are voting in, and the only election that will be held during their four years of college. For the Saint Mary's College Democrats, this is primetime.

College Democrats president Blaine Nolan said the club is fired up about the election, especially after the recent vice presidential debate.

"The girls are so excited about the debates. Even girls who aren't so active in the club are talking about the debates and loving every minute of them," she said. "The Biden/Palin debate has brought a lot of good information to the table because of the way it played out."

Nolan said there has been a noticeable increase in membership this year as well.

"Our membership has almost doubled this year as compared to the past," she said. "The interest level is very high. I get daily e-mails about girls wanting to get involved in many different aspects [of the club]."

The club has been active in the "Super Tuesday" events on campus and is trying to get the word out that voting, no matter which candidate one votes for, is important.

"We have been working on making sure that girls know how to get their absentee ballots or know that in some states they will be able to early vote over fall break in their hometowns," Nolan said.

The College Democrats have also been campaigning for Obama in the South Bend community.

Sophomore Colleen Lowry spent a lot of time working for "Canvass for Obama," a door-to-door literature drop that students and adults do every Sunday in St. Joseph County. They answer any questions people may have, give literature to people and show support for Obama in any way they can.

Lowry explained that Indiana is a battleground state that is leaning more towards the Republican Party, but added that South Bend is very diverse and has a wide range of Obama supporters.

"We see great enthusiasm in many of the people we come into contact with every day, Lowry said. "And they are really looking to Obama to change the way the government has been running for the last eight years."