Graduates members of Notre Dame family too

Just a short response to "Our Pep Rally Manifesto" by Aidan McKiernan and Tristan Hunt (Oct. 3): As an alum from the class of 1990, I pretty much agree with everything the Sorin men have to say with the exception of the guest list and the insinuation that you are the only group passionate about Notre Dame football. Twice you say that if you are not a student at Notre Dame (band, student, team) you are not invited. You add that non-students are welcome, one sentence after saying they are not invited. Gee, thanks ... I graduated from Notre Dame 18 years ago. Given a choice, I would still stand and yell the entire game - and I still do, as much as I can. I snuck into the student section for years after I graduated and would probably do so today if I could get away with it.I stopped going to Pep Rallies years ago for exactly the reasons you cite and I applaud your basic premise. If the changes you desire come to pass, some alumni will stop attending. Others, like me, if welcome will take the afternoon off again and drive hours to attend, because it will be exactly what we want and what we remember about pep rallies. All that, assuming we really are welcome. There is another class of alumni, generally much older, that would thoroughly enjoy observing (even if not able or willing to participate) the kind of rally you desire. Turning your collective backs on them would be a slap in the face to all those that stood in your shoes throughout the decades and cheered the men in blue and gold on every snap, tackle and touchdown.Good luck in your endeavor, but just remember that Notre Dame men do not turn their backs on their own.

Dan Molyneauxalumclass of 1990Oct. 4