Irish flag won't fly

I agree that making an Irish flag out of our student section is a fantastic idea. However, it's just not going to happen this year. For starters, you can't expect a couple of columns to impact the game day dress of thousands of student fans. Secondly, as I mentally rummage through my dresser drawers, I'm pretty sure I don't have an orange Notre Dame shirt. Anyone in the "orange" section would second guess the idea of wearing a shirt on game day that has nothing to do with Notre Dame football, even if it is for a greater visual cause. So here's my idea: next year, when students buy their tickets, include "The Shirt" with that purchase. And let the section on a student's ticket booklet determine which color shirt (green, white, or orange) he or she receives. I've never understood why Notre Dame hasn't integrated the spirit shirt with the ticket booklets; a lot of other schools do this and achieve great results in participation (forget other schools, just look at the uniformity of the Leprechaun Legion). By the way, the fund-raising muscles of "The Shirt" project wouldn't be hurt in the slightest; the bookstore could still sell the green version to fans. And it might make tickets cost $15 more next year, but let's face it, Notre Dame was already going to do that anyway.

Pat Moore

senior

Duncan

Oct. 2