SMC Soccer: Belles prepare for last regular season game

Opposing environments have proven unfriendly to the Belles so far as they have not recorded a road victory in seven tries this season. Today, Saint Mary's travels to take on Albion, where the team hopes it can shake its road woes and conclude a tough regular season schedule on a winning note.

The Belles find themselves in a slump, having lost eight of their last nine matches.

Last week, Saint Mary's dropped two very closely-contested matches against Alma and Kalamazoo by one-goal margins.

Despite their disappointing record this season, the Belles have not been completely overmatched. Eight of their 11 losses have come by one-goal margins, including all but one conference loss.

Saint Mary's has shown its ability to put the ball in the goal as it has found the net in all but three games this season, including a four-goal effort in its conference victory over Trine.

The Belles' leading scorer on the season is senior forward Lauren Hinton, who has found the back of the net five times and has also served up two assists.

Saint Mary's has also received a huge offensive contribution this season from the freshman class, which is led by forward Katelyn Tondo-Steele. Tondo-Steele has two goals and an assist. In all, freshmen have accounted for six goals and five assists, nearly half of the Belles' offensive production.

Saint Mary's junior Patty Duffy has stepped up in goal, having recorded 72 saves and giving up less than two goals per match.

Saint Mary's will begin postseason play when the MIAA conference tournament kicks off Nov. 1.