SMC team goes digging for cancer research

The Saint Mary's Volleyball team is hosting "Dig for the Cure," an event designed to raise money for breast cancer research, during its game against Trine University tonight at 7 p.m.

Varsity players have been soliciting donations from College students, faculty and staff for a flat donation or pledge of a specific amount for every dig the team makes during the Trine match for the past week and will continue to take them at the game.

Head coach and interim director of athletics and recreation, Julie Schroeder-Biek said she got the idea to have an event like this from the American Volleyball Coaches Association. Volleyball coaches in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) discussed the idea at a meeting over the summer and Schroeder-Biek decided she wanted to bring it to Saint Mary's.

The entire varsity team rallied together to raise pledges for the cause, she said.

"I knew it was a good cause, and I just really wanted it to be a success for our team and for Saint Mary's," junior team captain Lorna Slupczynski said.

Slupczynski raised nearly $400 and 20 pledges from friends, family and faculty members.

The Noble Family Dining Hall is hosting a picnic near the soccer field in conjunction with the home soccer game at 4 p.m. and the festivities will be moved to Angela Athletic Facility at 7 p.m.

Pink will be the theme of the night with pink cotton candy, pink lemonade and pink desserts available inside, according to flyers posted around campus.

Fans are encouraged to help "pink out" the gym by wearing their own pink clothing or by purchasing pink shirts the team has been selling in the Dining Hall for the last week.

Pink stadium blankets are also being sold at the Saint Mary's Bookstore in honor of the "Dig for a Cure" cause. All proceeds will go towards Breast Cancer Research.

Fans are also encouraged to fill out pink sheets to honor those who have lost their battle with cancer or who are currently fighting it. The sheets will be hung up around the gym for the month of October.