Women's Interhall: Badin's passing game aids win over Lewis

Badin kept its slim playoff hopes alive with a close victory last night over the winless Lewis.

The Bullfrogs offense, led by senior quarterback Katie Rose Hackney, started the game firing on all cylinders. Using the passing game, Hackney quickly led her team down the field, capping the drive with a touchdown pass to senior Courtney Rains. Another pass to Rains tacked on the extra point, giving Badin (1-2-1) an early 7-0 lead.

Both defenses held strong until late in the second half when Lewis (0-3) moved the ball into the red zone. With three quarterback keepers by junior Catherine Guarnieri, the Chicks finally found the endzone. However, the end-around play for the extra point failed as receiver Katie Sushinsky's flag was pulled just before her lunge into the end zone, leaving the score at 7-6.

After the game, Hackney was just happy to walk away with the win.

"It's really nice to see smiles on the girls' faces," she said.

Lewis coach Perry Shoemaker felt the same way, despite the loss.

"The game is meant to be fun, and the girls had fun," he said. "They played their hearts out. Ultimately the game just didn't go how we wanted it to."

Although the Chicks are still winless, Shoemaker felt his team played well overall and was only hurt by a few intermittent mistakes.

"It wasn't one single problem, just a few dropped passes here and there," he said.

On the Badin sideline, Hackney was pleased in every way.

"We stuck to our game plan and the players ran their routes," she said. "We have a lot of freshman and in this game everything clicked. Everyone went where they were supposed to."