Campus hosts holiday festivities

Notre Dame students will have one more day to enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday, which begins Wednesday, after the University's Academic Council decided in August to extend the break to allow for easier travel.

Some students will take advantage of the extra day to travel home and visit family.

Freshman Mary Coyne said she is looking forward to going home in Washington, D.C., for the break.

Coyne said she plans to go to a lake with her family over the break and to relax at home.

"I'm mostly looking forward to watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade," she said.

Freshman Ryan Solava said he plans to go back home to the Chicago area for Thanksgiving and will be bringing one of his friends home with him.

"I'm going back home...and a friend of mine is staying with me," Solava said.

Others have decided to stay on campus for the break.

Sophomore Yanning Sun, who is from China, said that she will spend part of her Thanksgiving break exploring Chicago and the rest of it on campus.

"I'm going to Chicago with friends to go shopping, and then I'll come back [to campus] to sleep a lot. If I have time, I'll do homework," Sun said.

Sun also said she plans to take advantage of the Thanksgiving feast that North Dining Hall will host.

North Dining Hall operations manager Dan Patterson said that the dining hall's Thanksgiving feast will feature three main entrees - turkey, ham and Atlantic char.

Thursday's menu also includes traditional favorites such as candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and butternut squash.

Patterson also said they will prepare gravy, green bean casserole and julienne carrots for the approximately 1,300 guests they expect to serve. Additionally, there will be hors d'oeuvres as guests enter the dining hall, and desserts will include pumpkin pie, apple pie and a chocolate fountain.

Patterson said he did not think the longer break would affect the number of guests that would eat Thanksgiving dinner in the dinning hall.

"I think it will be the same base of people - those that live too far away to go home. We also get a lot of guests, faculty and staff who come in," he said.

Patterson said the Dining Hall staff tries to vary its Thanksgiving menu each year.

"We try to put a different spin on it every year," Patterson said. "In a way it's routine but in a way it's not. We try to perfect it every year."

Patterson said much of North Dining Hall's staff began preparing the Thanksgiving meal at 5:30 a.m. last Saturday.

Some students like freshman Jacob Wenger will have family in to visit him over the break.

"My parents are coming up [to celebrate Thanksgiving], so I'll be spending the week in a hotel in South Bend," Wenger.

Wenger said his parents will be bringing a turkey with them from a store in Pennsylvania.

"I'm looking forward to not going to classes," Wenger said.