Men's Interhall: Battle for the Chapel part two

The Stanford and Keenan rivalry continues this weekend as the two teams face-off for a spot in the Interhall championship game.

Although they have already met in the regular season, the game resulted in a 6-6 tie, making the anticipation of this game even greater.

"Last game we ended up moving the ball pretty well in the second half," Keenan captain and linebacker Barton Dear said. "We're going to try not to get too many penalties on defense and make them earn every yard they get".

Keenan doesn't expect to win with just a solid defense, however.

"We have great players on offense including our senior running back Alex Gonzalez and Jim Zenker, our senior wide receiver," Dear said. "Look for them to have a big impact in the game this weekend".

The Stanford Griffins also have several players that figure to make big plays in the game.

"Our quarterback Brian Salvi and wide receiver Anthony Rizzo are two great players on our offense," Stanford captain John Burke said.

But Stanford has an advantage that doesn't come from the talent of their players.

"Nearly every game we've played this year has been close," Burke said. "We beat Dillon by one point on a blocked extra point, and in the regular season we beat O'Neill by one point, 15-16. I think we have an advantage in that we know how to win close games".

Both teams seem evenly matched, which will make part two of the Battle for the Chapel exciting. Keenan is certainly not trying to downplay the importance of this game, and it may feel the need for revenge after the result of last year's final game.

"It should be a good close game but I think we have a good chance at winning it," Dear said. "Stanford is our rival dorm, and they beat us in the championship last year. Its our biggest game of the year."

Kickoff is Sunday 2 p.m. at Riehle Fields.

Siegfried vs. Morrissey

It's getting down to the wire for both Morrissey and Siegfried as they approach the semifinals Sunday. A win means a trip to Notre Dame Stadium, but a loss means a season ending trip home.

"Siegfried is a very talented, deep team, so we will have to bring our 'A' game to beat them," Morrissey's junior middle-linebacker Phillip Yuhas said.

These two teams met once during the regular season, resulting in a 14-0 win for Siegfried. It was one of the Ramblers' four shutouts, thanks to a stellar defense that has only let up three points this season.

"The defensive line is big, and their tight ends are strong," Morrissey's freshman left guard Angelo Brown said. "They put a lot of pressure on our quarterback, Joe McBrayer."

Though they have already defeated them once this year, the Ramblers know Morrissey has a shot at pulling out an upset win.

"Morrissey has the best big-play potential in their passing game, and their running game is very complimentary to their passing," Siegfried team captain and tight end Kevin Kelly said. "Morrissey is a great opponent, and we need to be sure not to underestimate them on Sunday."

Overcoming the strong defensive pressure Siegfried serves up will take Morrissey's best effort. Siegfried can depend on its defense, but it must be wary of the passing intensive offensive strategy that renders Morrissey a worthy opponent.

"We have the best wide receivers out there," said Brown. "As long as our line can protect Joe [McBrayer], he and the wide receivers will be able to make plays."

The game will take place Sunday at 1 p.m. at Riehle Fields.