Friday, May 10, 2024

NDSP reports 8 arrests during game vs. Pitt

On Saturday, Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) reported making eight custodial arrests at the Pittsburgh game.

A custodial arrest occurs when the person arrested is transported to the county jail, according to David Chapman, assistant director of NDSP.

Saturday's figure is comparable to the nine arrests reported during the Oct. 7 match-up with Stanford.

Four citations were issued to minors for alcohol-related offenses, and one of those cited was transported to a local hospital by ambulance.

Three arrests were made for public intoxication outside the stadium, one of which involved public indecency, while four were arrested in the stadium for public intoxication and one for minor consuming alcohol.

Four others were ejected from the stadium for violations of Stadium rules and regulations, according to Chapman.

Chapman encouraged students and visitors to report "unruly or unlawful behavior" to NDSP by calling 574-631-5555 or by using a call box in one of the parking areas.

"If your football weekend festivities include the use of alcoholic beverages, remember to follow Indiana laws and drink responsibly," Chapman said, "Law enforcement officers will arrest underage drinkers on campus and at tailgate parties."

Chapman said NDSP worked with Indiana State Excise Police, St. Joseph County Police and South Bend Police.