SMC Basketball: Belles open season at home against Wheaton

Coming off a one-point loss in the finals of the Anderson University Tip-Off tournament to Robert Morris, Saint Mary's (1-1) looks to rebound in its home opener against Wheaton College Tuesday at 6 p.m.

Senior forward Erin Newsom who racked up a game-high 26 points to go along with eight rebounds in the loss to Robert Morris leads the Belles this season. Newsom was named to the All-Tournament team for her performance.

Junior center Anna Kammrath is off to a hot start as well, recording a double-double against Robert Morris and coming just one point short of another in the first game against Ohio Wesleyan.

Much of Saint Mary's early success thus far has hinged on its domination under the basket. The Belles have out-rebounded their opponents by 13 through the first two games.

Freshman forward Maggie Ronan is already beginning to contribute for the Belles having to step into the starting role in just her first season. In her first career game against Ohio Wesleyan, the freshman scored 15 points on 5-of-7 shooting, 3-of-4 behind the arc.

Last year's season opening match-up in the Lee Pfund Classic with Wheaton College did not end well for Saint Mary's. The Belles took a small lead into halftime before being outscored by 25 points in the second half and falling 75-56. A strong nucleus of returning starters hopes to move past that performance and reverse last year's result.