SMC sends letters to soldiers in Iraq

In a way to show support for the men and women currently stationed overseas, the Saint Mary's College Office of Civil and Social Engagement sponsored a letter writing campaign for the troops in Afghanistan this past week.

"We are writing letters of appreciation for our troops are over in Afghanistan," Saint Mary's senior Erin Seidelman said. "I started by just asking a few people I knew on campus to write letters, but there seemed to be a lot of interest so it grew into a Campus wide event thanks to Carrie Call, the director of the Office of Civil and Social Engagement at Saint Mary's."

Students were prompted to write a letter of any length with words of encouragement, prayers or gratitude. Letters were for both men and women, and could include quotes or images. Cards will be sent in time for the holidays.

"The goal is to send some love from home to our troops that work so hard to keep us safe," Seidelman said. "My cousin is currently fighting over in Afghanistan, and I thought it would be nice to send him and the troops he works with letters."

Letters have been collected at the front desks in all of the College's residence halls, as well as at the welcome desk in Saint Mary's student center.

Call said the campaign would help students and faculty connect with family members who are currently stationed in Afghanistan.

"Saint Mary's College is participating because we rarely have the opportunity to do something so direct that would benefit our troops," Call said. "Many students, and faculty and staff, have siblings, cousins, and children serving overseas. This is a way to reach out to those serving and send our support and love overseas."

However, Call said the ultimate goal of the letters is simply to provide support to the troops.

"I hope to achieve some comfort for those who are far from home, and allow our students to express their support and gratitude to some folks that they don't even know," Call said.

Letters are due today.