Students disheartened by Irish loss

As all teams know, winning and losing is part of the game, but it's never easy to watch your favorite team lose and never easy for Notre Dame students to suffer through a loss in football

And many students expressed their disappointment after Saturday night's 17-0 loss to Boston College.

"I was depressed because I had higher expectations going into the game and I felt like we just played really poorly as a team," sophomore Mackenzie Keller said.

Fereshman Bobby Abdo traveled to Boston for the game and to visit some friends. He was upset because Notre Dame did not have a ticket lottery, and he was forced to pretend he was a Boston College student, purchase a $150 ticket from a student, and sit in their student section.

For him, the game was especially frustrating.

"Having to sit in the student section was a rough experience. I was surrounded by 8,000 students and they weren't happy about having me there," he said.

He also commented on the behavior of the students around him.

"They ripped off of some of our cheers, like they ripped off of the push-ups ... They were generally saying [chants] like 'Notre Dame sucks,' 'Clausen sucks,' chants like that," he said. "Its bad enough the team was losing, but to experience it at Boston surrounded by drunken, ruckus BC fans didn't really make the experience any better."

Sophomore Kevin Danchisko also said the game "was extremely sad."

"I knew a person at the game who just left right after and couldn't even talk to anyone," he said.

However, Danchisko said, "At least we beat [Boston College] in hockey," referring to Notre Dame's 4-1 over the Eagles Friday night.

Much of the post game discussion focused on the ability of Notre Dame to play in a bowl game.

Freshman Kelly Nolan said, "I'm confident that we will win at least one more game, making us bowl eligible. I think getting to a bowl is a welcome improvement to last year's disappointing season."

According to some students, winning one more game should be possible for the team, especially since this week, the team prepares to play Navy.

"It's time to start a new tradition," said sophomore Erin McDonnel, referring to Notre Dame's previous record of 43 consecutive wins against Navy, the longest all-time consecutive winning streak between two teams in college football, which was broken last year.

Some students declined comment because they felt that their opinions would anger their fellow students. Others said they were too speechless or embarrassed to comment.