Celebrate human rights

We discuss Charlie's worth. We defend our right to throw snowballs. We define the meaning of hooking up. But when a Viewpoint suggests that there's a world outside of the Bubble, does anyone read it? Let's see.

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, for those who are not aware, is this cool little document that promotes "dignity and justice for all of us." It was passed by the United Nations after WWII, while the horrific memories of the Holocaust were strong.

The 30 articles express rights, which unfortunately for a great portion of the world, are not yet a reality. It calls for freedoms, regardless of skin color, sex, religion or language. Freedom from torture. Freedom to move and travel. The right to marry and have a family. The right to be educated. And 25 other basic human rights we too often take for granted because we are just too "busy."

Dec. 10th happens to mark the 60th anniversary of the declaration's adoption, and we all have a chance to celebrate these rights, proving we do still value them. Organizations and individuals in the South Bend area have planned a party this Saturday to recognize the historic anniversary of the Declaration.

On Saturday, from 2 to 5 p.m., we will be at UAW Local No. 5 Hall, located at 1426 S. Main St. in South Bend, with music, speakers, birthday cake, and more. In the spirit of the Christmas season, and in support of Article 25, we ask that you bring a donation for the Food Bank.

If you made it to the end of this letter, thank you. Come join us. The LSAT will be over, it's not finals week yet, and there's no football game. So really, you have no excuse not to.

Katie Michel

senior

off-campus

Dec. 4