Career Fair sets up shop at Joyce Center

Despite the poor economy and dismal job market, 135 companies will be looking for internship and job applicants at the 2009 Winter Career and Internship Fair at the Joyce Center Fieldhouse today from 4 to 8 p.m.

A variety of companies, non-profit agencies, government agencies, accounting and financial firms will be represented at the Fair, according to Associate Director of the Career Center Kevin Monahan.

"This fair especially is a good mix of industries that should appeal to just about all majors," Monahan said.

The ­companies will be recruiting for fulltime and internship positions in different fields, Monahan said.

A diversity reception that will be "centered around the issue of diversity in the workplace" will take place today from noon until 2:30 p.m. in the Monogram Room of the Joyce Center, Monahan said.

The reception will be an open networking session and is open to all students, Monahan said.

Due to the state of the economy, the number of companies that will be represented at this year's fair is down slightly, Monahan said.

However, Monahan still expects that students will find "numbers are down slightly, but we still have a good number of employers and a good mix of employers, as well," Monahan said.

NBC Universal will be one of the companies present at the fair, as well as the public relations company Edelman, Monahan said. Schurz Communications, a company that works in radio and television, will also be seeking students, Monahan said.

"To have a couple public relations firms and advertising firms coming to campus, that speaks well for the draw that is Notre Dame," he said

In order to prepare for attending the fair, Monahan recommended that students log into Go IRISH through the Career Center Web site and choose eight to 10 companies to speak with at the fair.

Students should research the companies and find out what positions they have posted.

After researching, Monahan said that students should "then actually go up to the company, introduce themselves and have some questions prepared about the job opportunity or about the company and make a good solid impression on that firm," Monahan said.

Although it is helpful to bring a resume to the fair, Monahan said that it is not a requirement.

"It's recommended to bring a resume, but if you don't have a resume, that should not stop you from coming," Monahan said.

Since there are a large number of companies from many different areas coming to the fair, students should narrow down the companies that they would like to learn more about.

"With 135 companies, you have to be a little strategic about who you would like to approach," Monahan said.

In addition to NBC Universal, Edelman and Schurz, Monahan mentioned Baxter Healthcare Corporation, which is interested in science students. A company that makes athletic wear, Under Armour is looking for students for its retail side, he said.

Additionally, there will be a "number of engineering firms" such as Lockheed Martin Corporation, according to Monahan.

First year and second year students should not hesitate to come the fair, according to Monahan.

"They should come and check it out and use this as an information gathering ... that way they will be much more prepared," Monahan said.