Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Slumdog' is top dog at Golden Globes

The big winner at the 66th Annual Golden Globe ceremony on Sunday night was "Slumdog Millionaire," the film about an impoverished teenager, Jamal Malik, from the streets of Mumbai who is accused of cheating on India's version of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" After the votes were tabulated, the Hollywood Foreign Press honored the film with four awards including Best Motion Picture - Drama, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Original Score. This was a surprising sweep for a semi-Indie film originally playing in only select cities, but a well-deserved one. The film is an innovative story of Jamal looking back on how he discovered each of the answers to the game show throughout his difficult life.Another big winner of the evening was Kate Winslet who was honored with Best Actress - Drama for "Revolutionary Road" and Best Supporting Actress for "The Reader." Winslet was absolutely giddy during her acceptance speeches, and seemed genuinely surprised and grateful at both her wins. Overall it seemed like a good night to be from the United Kingdom as Sally Hawkins, Simon Beaufoy, Danny Boyle and Colin Farrell joined Winslet in winning.Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama was handed out to Mickey Rourke for "The Wrestler" who seems to be this year's comeback kid. He joked that Robert Downey Jr. should give the speech for him, but he did a good job himself with a heartfelt speech thanking those who took a chance by casting him. Intriguingly, Darren Aronofsky, the film's director, gave him the finger (although the West Coast missed it due to the 7-second delay). "The Wrestler" was also praised for Best Original Song, which was written and performed by Bruce Springsteen. Springsteen thanked Rourke for inspiring him to write the song, as the two have been longtime friends. Springsteen also joked that this was the only time he would ever be in competition with Clint Eastwood and it felt pretty good.On the television side of the things the HBO mini-series "John Adams" dominated with four awards, as did NBC's "30 Rock" which went home with three. Two actors from "30 Rock" also stole the show with hilarious acceptance speeches. Tracy Morgan garnered laughs when he accepted the Globe for Best Series Musical or Comedy instead of Tina Fey, the show's producer, writer, creator and co-star. He explained that he made a deal with Fey that if Barack Obama won he would speak for the show from now on. Then he exclaimed, "I am the face of post-racial America. Deal with it, Cate Blanchett!" Later on in the evening when Tina Fey won herself for Best Actress Musical or Comedy she rocked the house by berating online users that hate on her and instead told them to, "...suck it." In a touching moment, Christopher Nolan, director of "The Dark Knight," accepted the Best Supporting Actor award on behalf of the late Heath Ledger. Ledger received a standing ovation from the crowd for his wicked turn as the Joker. Nolan said it best, that, "He will be eternally missed, but he won't be forgotten."A surprising win went to Anna Paquin for her starring role in the new HBO vampire show "True Blood." Paquin is excellent as Sookie Stackhouse, the southern gal in love with a vampire, but she was up against some stiff competition. On the other hand, it was not surprising at all that Pixar's "Wall-E" won for Best Animated Film. In the end, the evening was a star-studded affair complete with Stephen Spielberg being honored with the Cecil B. DeMille/Lifetime Achievement award. Even those who didn't win anything, like the fan favorites Brad Pitt and Angeline Jolie, still added to the glamour by looking beautiful while doing it.