SMC Swimming: SMC set to face Kalamazoo

The Belles swimming and diving team will take on Kalamazoo today at Rolfs Aquatic Center at 7 p.m. This meet, the second-to-last dual meet of the season, will be used to prepare for the MIAA conference championships February 19-21. According to captain Melissa Gerbeth, the team is not quite ready for the awaiting challenges in the championships, but the girls are working hard to get there.

"Right now we are still somewhat broken down coming off of a really intense training trip and continuous hard practices," Gerbeth said. "I think that our team will be ready for Conference at the end of February."

The Belles are coming off a 167-64 loss to a tough Division II opponent in Hillsdale College, but will look to right the ship and avenge last year's heartbreaking 145-149 loss to Kalamazoo.

As part of the preparation for the championships, the Belles (4-5) took a winter training trip to Florida. Captain Mary Kate Daday felt this trip was crucial in the team's development so far this season.

"After our winter training trip in Florida our team really came together physically and mentally," Daday said. "We pushed each other in the water and have become closer as a team."

The trip has produced results on paper, too, as personal best times are being achieved on a regular basis. Swimmer Audrey Dalrymple, who set the school record in the 200-yard breaststroke, and diver Leah Bocisnky, who set a season best on the 1-meter dive, have been performing especially well of late.

Daday hopes this will continue against Kalamazoo, against Olivet next week, and especially into the MIAA championships.

"I am confident everyone will work hard, have positive attitudes, and get pumped to finish the season successfully," she said.