Weekend Events Calendar

Thursday: Let the Right One in (2008), 6:30 p.m., Browning Cinema

If you are a fan of "Twilight," this movie might just be the thing to satisfy your craving for another vampire-human love story. Edward Cullen. In this film,12-year-old Oskar is the victim of incessant bullying from his intimidating and condescending peers, but that all changes once he befriends fellow 12-year-old Eli who has been stuck as a pre-teen for many more years than normal. With the arrival of Eli also comes the arrival of suspicious disappearances and gruesome murders, an indicator of what might come when she eventually steps up to defend Oskar. Be prepared to find yourself on an emotional rollercoaster as you contemplate the complex friendship these two children have formed and the decisions they make as they figure out life's difficulties and their own blossoming love.

Tickets are $6, $5 faculty/staff and $3 for all students.

Friday: Body of Lies, 8:00 and 10:30 p.m., 101 Debartolo

Looking for a fast pace thriller with twists and turns? Check out the latest film by award winning director Ridley Scott (Gladiator, American Gangster, Black Hawk Down), "Body of Lies." The film pits CIA operative Roger Ferris (Leonardo DiCaprio) against his handler Ed Hoffman (Russell Crowe) when Hoffman goes behind Ferris' back on a counter-terrorist operation in Jordan nearly getting Ferris killed and straining the operative's relationship with the head of the Jordanian General Intelligence Department, Hani Salaam (Mark Strong). Things get tense when Ferris falls in love with a Jordanian hospital nurse, Aisha (Golshifteh Farahani), and she is kidnapped. Tickets are $3.

Saturday: Synecdoche, New York (2008), 6:30 p.m., Browning Cinema

Philip Seymour Hoffman, a chameleon of sorts whose recent roles have ranged from a blunt case officer and division chief for the CIA in "Charlie Wilson's War" to a possibly homosexual priest in "Doubt," steals the show as a theater director in "Synecdoche, New York." The movie's title plays with words by rhyming with the location of the movie, Schenectady, New York. Director, Caden Cotard (Hoffman) runs into a midlife crisis when his wife leaves him, his relationship with a new interest falls apart and his health deteriorates. To move past these negative barriers he changes location and pours his soul into the production of his theater masterpiece. Audiences will want to both laugh and cry in this tragicomedy that tails the life of a man dealing with the everyday battles of life.

Sunday: Sherlock Holmes the Final Adventure, 3:00 p.m., Elkhart Civic Theatre

A performance full of danger, humor and a good dose of surprise that will keep audiences intrigued as they follow the story of the famous fictional detective Sherlock Holmes's final adventure. When the King of Bohemia is about to be blackmailed by the famous opera singer Irene Adler, Holmes and his trusty sidekick Doctor Watson jump into the mix solving crimes and simultaneously trying to win hearts as they get mixed up in this mess of a case. Explore, discover and laugh with these two well-loved characters at the Elkhart Civic Theatre this weekend in an adaptation that promises nothing less than a good dose of quality entertainment.

Tickets are $13 for adults and $11 for students and seniors.