Genuine beauty and hook-ups

How does beauty play into the hook-up culture? What's the difference between external and internal beauty? What is "internal beauty?" Is there an inherent beauty in all of us? Why do people continue to hook-up? Can hooking-up be a hurtful addiction? Does hooking up validate our self-worth, through a recognition of external or internal beauty?

Chances are, you have your own opinion on some, or all, of the above questions. There is no denying that the hook-up culture is alive and present at Notre Dame, and the underlying issues of beauty and respect deserve to be examined in the context of "why" hook-ups happen. Understanding that there may or may not be a "correct answer" to these questions, the Edith Stein Project, an initiative of the Identity Project of Notre Dame, seeks to answer these questions through a six-student panel on Friday, Feb. 13 at 2:15 p.m. in McKenna Hall, Room 102.

The session will start with a brief presentation on self-image and eating disorders by Caroline Lashutka, followed by a six-student panel that will present on the above questions. The six students are: Nathan Loyd from ND Right to Life and Pure Love Club, Jim Redden and Michael Bohnert from the Knights of Columbus, Mark Skylling from Iron Sharpens Iron, and ND students Melissa Buddie and Katie Michel. While all panelists agree that we are called to live up to the inherent dignity of human beings, their views on internal and external beauty, as well as the hook-up culture, are varied. Each panelist will provide a personal testimony on how they see beauty in our society and how the forces of external or internal beauty play into hooking up, if at all.

Whether you love a good hook-up, or are repulsed by the hook-up culture, this panel is for you. If you've done it a few times and are tempted or disgusted by the idea of doing it again, this panel is also for you.

For more information about the conference, please visit www.nd.edu/~idnd/edithstein.

Sincerely,

Natassia Kwan

Caitlin Podlaski

Joanna Emilian

Theresa Klinkhammer

Edith Stein Project

Feb. 11