Raytheon is (not) unwelcome

Alright boys and girls, we here at the University of Notre Dame have just enjoyed yet another successful career fair! And you know what that means ... that's right. Another letter protesting Raytheon's presence at the fair ("Why is Notre Dame involved in the arms trade?" Feb. 2), which expresses new thoughts that haven't already been repeated several times. So let's look at some of the points they felt compelled to make:

1. " ... Fr. Jenkins left us with an understanding that his administration would take the issue seriously." It's a good thing that taking an issue seriously means the exact same thing as taking action or making changes. If it didn't, it would be clear that Fr. Jenkins does not at all care for the students or the University.

2. "Organizations like Raytheon serve a narrow conviction that place national self-interest and violent military power above the calling ... of 'human solidarity and concern for the common good.' They inherently contradict what we as a university community have placed as our true mission." I completely agree. Placing our own national self-interest and defense above the University's own concerns is completely uncalled for. It's a good thing Notre Dame doesn't have a popular motto (such as "God, Country, Notre Dame.") that places our own country's concerns ahead of those of the University.

3. "For Raytheon, the more war and insecurity the better." Weapons manufacturers really should learn to make profits outside of when weapons are needed. That way, everyone's happier! Plus, it certainly isn't the case that the weapons Raytheon and other companies supply our country with discourage attacks from foreign enemies. If a display of power did protect us a little bit (which is, of course, unrealistic), then we might actually promote the manufacturing of weapons in some cases. Absurd.

4. "But in August 2006 ... nine men ... occupied a Raytheon office and were detained for trespassing. On June 11, 2008 a jury released the entire group in a unanimous verdict." I am proud to know that we have a jury that was able to release these poor detained men, while neglecting the fact that they were occupying private property on which they had no right to be, and the fact that they would not peacefully leave when asked to do so. Those men certainly were lucky that jury came along.

5. "We call on the Career Center and the University administration to examine more closely who we allow onto our campus to recruit our students." If, as mentioned earlier, Fr. Jenkins doesn't realize that "consider" and "act" mean the same thing, maybe these groups will.

Well, that's five undeniable points our writers have made in opposition to Raytheon's presence here on campus. It is very important that Raytheon no longer shows up at ND, so that no ND student can try to join Raytheon and do their part in making sure weapons companies act in an ethical manner. Finally, it just so happens that "Currently, Raytheon is the world's fifth-largest weapons manufacturer." Coincidence? You decide. See you all next time.

Douglas Schuda

junior

O'Neill

Feb. 2