SMC elects Hoffman, Griffin

Saint Mary's junior Jenny Hoffman and sophomore Meg Griffin were elected the College's next student body president and vice president Monday after running an unopposed campaign.

Hoffman is currently the Board of Governance (BOG) executive secretary and Griffin is the sophomore class president.

Juniors Mallory Price and Katie Lewis were also a part of the race, but dropped out due to personal reasons early Thursday morning.

Hoffman and Griffin received more than 50 percent of the vote, according to an e-mail the BOG sent to the student body Tuesday. The e-mail did not specify how many students voted, or what percentage of students voted to abstain.

"I'm very, very excited [that we won]," Hoffman said. "I wish there had been another opponent running, but Meg and I are so excited to start our term."

She said that they plan to work on putting some of their platform ideas into action in the next few weeks now that they have been elected.

"Besides assembling our cabinet, we will continue BOG's efforts to extend the Student Center hours," she said, referring to an initiative by current student body president and vice president Mickey Gruscinski and Sarah Falvey to keep the Student Center open until midnight Sunday through Thursday and until 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday. Currently, the building closes at 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and midnight on Friday and Saturday.

Hoffman also said the duo will work to get printers installed in every dorm.

"These are student concerns that have already been voiced," she said. "If we address those now, then when we do take office in April, and next fall, we'll be able to address other student concerns."

BOG sent an e-mail reminding students to log onto the Saint Mary's PRISM Web site to vote yesterday and hung posters about voting in LeMans, but Hoffman credits the fact that she and Meg campaigned in the Student Center to part of the voter turnout.

"When I was campaigning on Sunday in the Student Center I had a girl come up to me and say, 'I'm so glad you're doing this, it's nice to meet the only candidate running," she said. "If [students] don't know the candidate they feel an obligation to vote abstain."

The two welcome any students to come speak with them now that they are president and vice president-elect.

"Now that we're in place we're really eager to hear what students want done," Hoffman said. "Right now we have a blank slate and we want to get some issues on it so we can start addressing them."