Student shot near off-campus home

A Notre Dame student was shot in the arm walking home from a bar early Tuesday morning after mistakenly attempting to enter a neighbor's house, police said.

The 23-year old woman was shot on the 800-block of E. Miner St. on the front porch of the home next door to her own.

University Spokesperson and Assistant Vice President for News and Information Dennis Brown confirmed the woman is a student at Notre Dame and is receiving care at a local hospital.

Brown said the University is gathering more information about the event, but per the woman's family's wishes, will not release her identity.

University President Fr. John Jenkins offered his prayers in a University press release Wednesday: "Our prayers are with her and her family, and we will continue to offer support to them during this difficult time," he said.

According to the release, staff members from the Office of Student Affairs are providing assistance to the student's family.

Captain Phil Trent of the South Bend Police Department (SBPD) said, according to police reports, officers were first called to Memorial Hospital after a female was admitted with a gunshot wound to her arm.

The student, who police said was intoxicated, told officers that she and a 23-year-old friend had left Club 23, a bar located at the corner of South Bend and Notre Dame Avenues, and walked to their house, when they attempted to enter the wrong home.

According to the police, the student said she knocked on the door and attempted to enter the home, when she realized she was shot.

A Feb. 24 South Bend Tribune report stated the woman told police she did not hear the sound of a gunshot before being wounded.

Police reports say the woman and her friend went next door to her actual residence and attempted to bandage the wound. The woman was then taken to Memorial Hospital, where police were called.

According to the report, a 28-year-old man who lives in the first house told the police that he and another man were playing video games in the living room at around 3:30 a.m., when he heard someone knocking on the door.

He told police he yelled for the person at the door to leave. After the knocking continued, he told police he fired a single shot through the front door and then heard a woman scream.

According to police reports, the man said he exited the back of the house and around the side to the front porch, but when he arrived, no one was there.

He told police he then gave the weapon to his friend, who then left the house to go to work.

Police were able to recover the weapon.

According to the Tribune report, a bullet hole can be seen in the home's front door.

Trent told The Observer Wednesday afternoon the investigation is still continuing and police have spoken to people who were inside the house at the time of the shooting.

He said those inside the house thought the woman was attempting to forcibly enter the residence.

No one has been arrested in connection with the shooting, Trent said.

Further investigation will indicate whether "charging will be appropriate," Trent said.

A report of the incident will be filed with the St. Joseph County Prosecutor's Office once the investigation is complete, he said.