GreeND kicks off recycling campaign

GreeND and the Office of Sustainability will kick off the second-annual Recyclemania campaign Tuesday as part of a nationwide competition and movement to promote recycling. The competition will continue until April 3.

"The campaign seeks to give the community an increased awareness of how we acquire waste and promote recognition that recycling is an integral part of maintaining sustainability," sophomore Regina McCormack, a GreeND committee member, said.

Last year's Recyclemania campaign included a 10-week campus-wide competition to see which residence hall could recycle the most materials.

"Data will still be compiled to measure the volume of recycled materials that the Notre Dame campus generates during the three-week campaign," McCormack said.

"This year the campaign is more educational in nature with the purpose being to raise general awareness of the need to recycle," she said.

The Recyclemania campaign will conclude with an art show competition in which the residence halls will enter creative sculptures or statues constructed of recycled materials. The artwork will be displayed and judged in the Dooley Room of the LaFortune Student Center on April 2. Prizes constructed of recycled materials will be awarded.

Students will notice many posters and displays advertising the Recyclemania campaign in the residence halls, dining halls and throughout the campus this week.

"The posters and displays feature campus celebrities such as Fr. Hesburgh, athletes, popular professors and other well-known individuals," McCormack said. They "aim to show that recycling is not just necessary, but can also be fun."

As part of Recyclemania and to further promote recycling and sustainability on campus, GreeND will put on continuous short 15-minute visual presentations, titled Recycling 101, on March 19 and 31 in the Montgomery Room of LaFortune. Viewers will learn the "value of recycling, items which can and cannot be recycled, and how each individual's recycling efforts can make a difference."

GreeND will host a St. Patrick's Day party to kick off Recyclemania Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Fieldhouse Mall.

"There will be cookies, drinks, free reusable cups, recycling displays and a raffle of prizes constructed of recycled materials and everyone is invited," McCormack said.