It's our graduation

On Monday, March 23, The Observer published a two-page Viewpoint section that contained nine letters about the recent announcement that President Obama would be speaking at this May's Commencement. Of the nine letters in Monday's Observer, a mere two were from seniors. As a Republican and a member of the Class of 2009, I have mixed feelings about seeing President Obama address my class as we prepare to go forth from this campus. While I am honored the president has chosen to come to South Bend, I disagree with almost every political view he holds. I also understand the sentiment that some of his policies are not in line with Catholic teachings. While I have mixed emotions about the speech, there is one thing I am truly upset about. I am upset that the people who are complaining are not the ones graduating.

I understand there are intense emotions when it comes to a politician delivering an address of this nature. If it were up to me, John McCain would be here as president instead of Obama. But what makes me even more upset is the idea that others want to mar the graduation of myself and my friends. Alumni and underclassmen are expressing their outrage. One alum threatened to bring pictures of abortion victims. While I am completely in opposition to President Obama as a staunch pro-life advocate, this is the last thing I want to see as I celebrate my graduation with my friends and family.

My classmates and I have earned the right to enjoy our commencement. We have worked hard over the last four years to earn the right to receive a diploma from Our Lady's University. Please do not let your disagreements with President Obama take away from our celebration. We've earned this. No one, not alumni, not undergraduates, not even President Obama himself, can take it away from us.

Michael Scholl

senior

off campus

March 23