ND Women's Golf: Irish face tough teams in Texas

The Irish return to the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational in Austin, Texas, for the third consecutive year, ready to compete against several top opponents. According to their coach, however, their toughest competition will come from themselves.

The field of 17 teams will match the Irish up against some of the top competition in the country. The competing teams include Duke, ranked No. 9, and top-ranked Arizona.

After last week's disappointing 12th place finish at the LSU Cleveland Classic, the Irish hope to improve their performance in the three-day tournament this weekend.

Coach Susan Holt thinks that last week's tournament was, to some extent, a wake up call.

"We didn't get beat last week, we just beat ourselves," Holt said. "We look great [at practice]. We need to continue to play loose when it matters."

Senior captain Lisa Maunu, along with junior Annie Brophy, sophomores So-Hyun Park and Katie Conway and freshman Becca Huffer have the confidence of their coach to put last week's disappointing performance behind them.

"I just want them to play well and put up the numbers they're capable of shooting." Holt said. Last year, the Irish finished fifth out of 18 teams at the Rawls Invitational.

Huffer led the team at last week's LSU Classic, finishing tied for 16th at one over par.

The University of Texas Golf Club will be a tougher challenge than last weeks course at the LSU Cleveland Classic. The course is a par-72 and teams will play from 6,324 yards in the three-day event.

Historically, the Irish have not faired well at University of Texas Golf Club, where the Rawls Invitational is held.

"The course has gotten the best of us in the past." Holt said. "We haven't put three rounds of solid golf together the last three times."