Weekend Events Calendar

Friday

Waltz with Bashir; Vickers Theatre; 9:00 p.m.; Tickets: Adults $8, Students/Seniors $6

Winner of the Golden Globe for Best Foreign Film and the Best Animated Feature award from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, the tale "Waltz with Bashir," based on a true story, explores the director's memory as he searches to piece together the events of the Lebanon War in the early 1980s. Eerily animated in a style that depicts the serious subject matter, "Waltz with Bashir" shows his journey into the realms of an event that some think would be better to forget. Join Ari Folman on his difficult voyage of self-discovery.

Saturday

Mark Duval and the Brothers Kalamazov; 8:00 pm; The Livery; $5, Free for 'Mug Club' Members

For a fun and chill start to the evening, head to The Livery this Friday night for an eclectic and versatile performance by the folksy rock band Mark Duval and the Brothers Kalamazov. With a wide variety of instruments ranging from a guitar and banjo to a flute and saxophone, be prepared to hear surprising combinations of multiple styles influenced by Celtic, bluegrass, and jazz sounds. As spring finally starts to come out of hiding, get up and get off campus for a night of entertaining music.

Saturday

Cre na Cille; 6:30 pm; Browning Cinema; Tickets: $6, $5 faculty/staff, $4 seniors, $3 all students

Capitalize on Notre Dame's Irish pride by exploring the contemporary Irish films being shown at Browning Cinema this weekend. In an adaptation of Mairtin O Cadhain's book, the cunning and comical "Cre na Cille" (Churchyard Clay) tells a story of sibling rivalry, death and the fascinating journey souls embark after they've left the realms of the living. The recently departed Caitriona hungrily awaits the death of her rival sister Neil, who stole away Caitriona's true love when living. From the grave to the great beyond, laugh and learn about rural Ireland's finest as you watch "Cre na Cille."

Sunday

Eden; (2008); Browning Cinema 3:00 pm; Tickets: $6, $5 faculty/staff, $4 seniors, $3 all students

Director Declan Recks explores the rocky period in many marriages when husbands or wives start to question their happiness in his Irish film, "Eden." What happens when 10 years into your marriage, you discover an intense unhappiness lurking beneath the surface, one that leads you to believe maybe you are not really in love with your spouse? As Breda Farrell (Eileen Walsh) clings to the thinning threads holding her marriage together, her questioning husband (Aidan Kelly) pulls further away, breaking the bonds they once had.

Contact Adriana Pratt at apratt@nd.edu