Bookstore Basketball: Bad Decision Badin falls to Delivery Boys

Utilizing their distinct height advantage and experience, The Delivery Boys swept through their first round game, defeating Bad Decision Badin, 21-7.

In true Harlem Globetrotters' style, The Delivery Boys ran up and down the court, fast-breaking and throwing behind-the-back passes on their way to the victory. The fast break was an important part of The Delivery Boys' game plan, and will continue to be so.

"We're a run and gun team and we like to fast break," sophomore Michael Garcia said. "It'll be part of our game plan, but we also like the half-court set up as well."

Despite the one-sided nature of the contest, the rain was a factor, forcing The Delivery Boys to slow down and stay fundamentally sound.

"We had to adjust at the beginning. We were falling over," Garcia said. "But in the end, we got our stuff together and came out with a victory."

The Delivery Boys, No. 6 overall, look to go far in the tournament, but Garcia said they enjoyed their first round match-up, even if it did little for preparation as they move forward.

"This is the first time that any of us has played girls, but it was fun," Garcia said. "We knew a lot of the girls, and, I mean, it's Bookstore. You've got to love it."

A Divine Comedy of Errors 21, The Cereal Killers 16

A Divine Comedy of Errors was able to fend off the rain in a close match-up, defeating The Cereal Killers in a round-two game in the Dan Devine Sectional.

Led by their captain, senior Melissa Meagher, Divine Comedy of Errors tried to stay fundamentally sound throughout the game, something they had worked on coming into the tournament.

"We had three basketball 1-on-1 practices this week to work on basic offensive and defensive skills because we don't have a lot of basketball experience," Meagher said. "We're just trying to focus on fundamentals and technique."

Along with Meagher, who scored nine points in her team's victory, Comedy of Errors received an excellent contribution from sophomore Gabby Moriel, who scored 11 points.

"We're the two with the most basketball experience, so we're used to playing together and we make good cuts and pass to each other," Meagher said.

The Cereal Killers, led by sophomore captain Brittany Johnson, made a run in the second half but just did not have enough firepower to overcome the offensive attack of Meagher and Moriel.

"We'll continue to focus on our technique and try to have a good time," Meagher said.

United Nations 21,

Da Backlash Bonus 5

The all-sophomore squad United Nations topped Da Backlash Bonus in a one-sided, rain-soaked contest.

Jimmy Moore led his team to victory by scoring 12 points, and his teammate Steve Thomas also chipped in three in the win.

"Our team nickname is the Gorillas," United Nations sophomore Katie Dufner said. "We got the name because everyone is wearing a piece of clothing from my high school Villa Walsh and we were the Gorillas."

Team captain Karla Garcia-Huerta was also able to pitch in three baskets in the win.

United Nations will move on to the second round to play Fighting Fate with Fate on Thursday.