Campus Rave: Girls' Rain Boots

Though the return of dreary weather to campus has put some people in a rut, it has brought out the best in footwear for the Notre Dame women. While we may be the fairer sex, there is no doubt that our fashion sense is steps ahead of our male counterparts who have been trudging through puddles in flip flops, not quite sure what hit them. Domer Dames may not do everything right, but we sure know how to wear a rain boot!From brightly colored solids to patterns of plaid and polka dot, the rain boots on campus do much in the way of brightening up even the most dreadful Notre Dame weather. We might not have many opportunities to wear Jimmy Choos or Manolo Blahniks, but opportunities abound to wear flashy wellies. Sadly they are not appropriate for the runway, the workplace or even life post-Dome, but rain boots are the perfect solution to the drenching cross-campus commute. Scenesters have spotted several campus standouts particularly deserving of praise in this Campus Rave. One such misty maven (definition: female who definitely knows how to handle South Bend weather while still looking fabulous) was spotted rocking a pair of fish print rain boots. With an enlarged graphic of a Japanese Koi fish, these rain boots were not only cute, but expressed a dry sense of humor in a particularly damp situation. (By the way, if you happen to be the owner of these boot-ilicious boots, please refer to the contact information below, so that we might become equally fashionable.)Another spectacular pattern spotted on campus? The flashy flower. Even though the weather is bi-polar, its good to know an air of spring is still in our step with these sassy shoes. For the preppy princess, its good to know that a love of JCrew and Vera Bradley can extend to practical things like rain boots.Even yummy food groups are acceptable, most notably prints of cherries, citrus and even cupcakes. Also deserving an honorable mention is plaid. Plaid makes peace between the prep and the punk in us all. What makes it so popular is its versatility. Domer dames don such a variety of plaid that it is impossible to ignore the diversity often hidden on this campus. Notre Dame may not be the place where trends start, but when it comes to rainwear, we are definitely in the know. When we need a boost, it may help to remember that even with the thickest permacloud, we can find a silver lining in self expression. And while it can often be difficult to remember the "I" in "We are ND" when you're surrounded by people in matching T-shirts, it helps to know that your rain wear is one place individual style can be shown. Snaps again to the many rain boot-wearers. With the downpour of rain also comes the outpouring of distinctive Notre Dame style, born out of necessity coupled with a bit of daring from the inner fashion diva. Thank God the bookstore doesn't sell Notre Dame rain boots, because look how we do when left to our own devices.