Legacy open for donations

The Senior Legacy, an opportunity for seniors and their parents to give money to a cause of their choosing, has begun receiving donations for its 2009 fund.

"The Senior Legacy is an opportunity-an opportunity for each graduating class to leave its own, unique, lasting impact on the face of Our Lady's University," Senior co-chair of the Student Development Committee Kevin Marvinac said.

Senior Joe Gagnon, the other Committee chair, discussed the Legacy's aims.

"The goal of the Senior Legacy is to make a lasting impact to improve Notre Dame and the quality of life for future students, to leave a legacy that will continue to grow and will still be improving the university years after Class of '09 has graduated, and to have at least 50% of the Class of '09 to participate," he said.

As part of its Senior Legacy, the Class of 2009 selected the Internship Assistance Fund, which will provide students with a stipend to enable them to pursue internships in their chosen field. However, if donors prefer their gift go toward different causes, they can designate one.

"Because seniors vote on what their legacy should be, it is uniquely theirs, and they have a great opportunity to contribute to causes they deem worthy, or areas in which they think Notre Dame is lacking and could use a boost," Marvinac said.

Seniors are encouraged to donate any amount they wish before December 31, 2009 to count toward their Legacy. Those who donate at least $20.09 will receive the official Class of '09 Legacy poster.

Any member of the Class of 2009 who makes a gift of more than $100 will be eligible to receive an application for the 2010 football ticket lottery. Gifts can be made either by replying to the card mailed to the senior class or by making a donation online.

Marvinac expressed optimism about the Senior Legacy's outlook.

"I predict that the student body will step up, even in very challenging economic times, and that most seniors will realize that donating even a little bit will make a tangible impact on the university that has given us so much over the past four years," he said. "Everyone can afford $20, and since you can restrict your gift, you know it will go towards a cause you deem worthy."