Women's Golf: Team eyes final round comeback

Normally, cutting into a 16-stroke lead in the Big East championship can be looked at as a successful day of play, but the Irish really felt that they could have done a little more damage in Monday's second round.

Despite the feeling of a missed opportunity, they were still able to cut No. 19 Louisville's 16-stroke lead down to just 12 strokes after firing a team best 298.

Coach Susan Holt, although happy with her team's performance, said she knew her team left some opportunities out on the course.

"Three scores were good," Holt said. "But an 80 negated the good three rounds."

Halfway through the round on Monday, play was suspended due to weather. After the players got back out on the course, the Irish weren't able to regain the momentum they had possessed earlier in the day. Senior captain Lisa Maunu was one-under until finishing the round with two bogeys on the 17th and 18th holes to end the round at one-over and tied for the individual lead.

"She played really well, but finished bogey-bogey," Holt said about Maunu's round. "She wasn't very happy, but she still played a solid round."

Other notable scores for the Irish included junior Annie Brophy's round of one-over to finish in a tie for eighth after two rounds and freshman Becca Huffer shot two-over to finish in eighth after two rounds.

Holt said the team realized the opportunity they missed on Monday to catch up to Louisville, and that it might be hurting the team's morale.

"[The team was] in position to get about eight shots back," Holt said. "Morale isn't very good right now because of the weak finish."

The Irish have a chance in the final round Tuesday to catch Louisville and claim back-to-back Big East titles. With Louisville's average performance on Monday, the Irish are well within striking distance.

"We didn't expect them to leave the door open for us," Holt said. "We've got a good round in us, we just hope that it can come out tomorrow."