Live and learn

You learn a lot when you get to senior year. I have learned that eating Penn Station three times a week is wrong. That you have to study to get good grades. That when you leave your license on the floor at Corby's, sometimes you won't get it back. That senioritis is, in fact, a real and contagious disease. But more than anything, I learned that four years is a very, very short time.

Living with people, eating with people, learning with people forces you to make fast friends, which is why and how I am friends with the people I am now. My friends and I were talking the other day about our freshman year roommates and how we became friends even though we didn't live together. We became friends because we went to the bathroom at the same time or went to Vendoland at three in the morning. It's the little things that brought us all together.

If I had any advice to give to a freshman, I'd say a few things. A) Go to class. B) Appreciate the dining hall food because once you live off campus, you have to fend for yourself. C) Be spontaneous. Just do things that make you happy because, like I said earlier, four years is a very, very, very short time.

When I think about my four years, it's basically impossible to do without thinking about The Observer. During Frosh-O, I walked into the basement of South Dining Hall and listened to some very intimidating people talk about the paper. I picked up my first story about the opening school Mass and butchered it. Surprisingly, I decided to keep writing and with the help of some wonderful seniors, I got the swing of things. Then I started work in the office. Then I became Assistant News Editor. Then I was the Saint Mary's Editor. Then I was the Assistant Managing Editor. Then I was working in the office three days a week at all hours of the day. Thinking back, sometimes I wonder why I sacrificed so much time for The O. But then, I think about all the doors it opened up for me.

I met some great people, learned a lot and became a part of something really great. Even though some people bash The Observer or don't read it, so many other people rely on it for campus news or at least a good Viewpoint war. We worked so hard everyday and I am proud that I was a part of it ... I also met some pretty cool people in the process.

So basically, I loved college very much, and I am so happy that I decided to come to Saint Mary's. Even though the job market isn't too promising, I wish everyone the best and hope I run into people in the most random places. Happy graduation and while not many people will get this reference, hey Pothees and goodbye BroooOOOOoothers.

Katie Kohler is a senior political science major. After graduation, she is working for Arlen Specter, yes, Arlen Specter, in D.C. for the summer. After that, she is on God's good humor. Katie enjoys Degrassi, EZ-Mac, her Snuggie, Titanic and long walks on the beach. She does not enjoy jellyfish or golf. She wants to thank everyone who paid for her education (cough, Marmie and Jeff-Z) and wants to say haaaaaay to her sisters, Meemerz, Tare and Rat. Peace out homes.