Off-campus fair keeps students entertained

Students were greeted by the sound of music and the smells of free food samples as they congregated to pick up their football ticket booklets Tuesday.

The Community Relations Committee of Student Government, along with the City of South Bend, set up stands of local restaurants and businesses on the east side of the football stadium in its one-day Off-Campus Fair.

The event, which is a part of Student Government's efforts to foster community relations, also sought to simply entertain students while they waited in line for tickets.

Student Body President Grant Schmidt said that the fair, which Student Government has held in the past, was a success this year and saw a large turnout.

"It's a good thing because students don't have to just awkwardly stand in line," Schmidt said.

He added that it was perhaps such a success this year because of Tuesday's agreeable weather.

The fair featured nine Michiana vendors including Chick-Fil-A and Best Buy.

Kim Hauflaire of Salon Rouge in Mishawaka handed out haircut coupons and free shampoo and conditioner samples to a line of students outside the stadium.

"It's great to be here," Hauflaire said. "We love to support Notre Dame."

The fair was also an opportunity for area business to gain a report among Notre Dame and Saint Mary's students.

Nnanna Uzoh of Best Buy said, "Some students didn't know we're right here in the area, which is nice to know. I keep being asked 'Oh, where are you located?'"

Sophomore Walker Anderson used the fair as an opportunity to promote his own business, a DJ service called High Velocity, which played music during the four-hour event.

Although the fair only took place yesterday, students may continue to pick up their football booklets during the rest of the week.