Two dorms welcome new rectors

Howard Hall and Pasquerilla East will be under new management this year.

Sr. Lucille D'Amelio is the new rector at Howard Hall, while Pasquerilla East is welcoming Sr. Cindy Broderick.

Prior to Notre Dame, D'Amelio worked as a pastoral administrator in Michigan. She is an Amityville Dominican from Long Island, N.Y. Broderick, an Adrian Dominican from Michigan, worked the last five years at a high school before coming to Notre Dame.

D'Amelio attributes her arrival at Notre Dame to divine intervention.

"I guess God wanted me here," D'Amelio said.

D'Amelio hopes to bring a positive spirit to Howard by drawing on her past experience. The cancer survivor has a optimistic outlook on life that she said she hopes to bring to the girls.

"Move on from toxic situations," D'Amelio said. "Life is too short to take on negativity."

However, she realizes that living with all of these girls will not be without challenges.

"When I have to reprimand someone it will be the hardest challenge," D'Amelio said.

D'Amelio said she made good memories with Freshman Orientation, including winning her own rubber duck at trivia night in the Oak Room.

"The Frosh-O team was great!" she said.

Sr. Cindy Broderick, OP, from Pasquerilla East, said she had a positive Freshman Orientation and move-in experience.

"I'm surprised at how smooth move-in went," Broderick said. "During staff training, we spent a lot of time together. This extra time helped when it came to working together."

Broderick is also adjusting well to her new schedule.

"I'm more of a night person anyway," Broderick said. "I think I'm adjusting well.

"I was ready for a change," Broderick said. "I had a good friend at work that went to Notre Dame who said I'd be perfect."

One of the biggest challenges is dealing with the size of her dorm, Broderick said.

"I'm trying to get to know as many girls as possible on all different levels," Broderick said. "There's just one of me. I wish I could multiply myself."

The new rectors share similar goals.

"God called me to Notre Dame to send women into leadership," D'Amelio said. "My gifts and my experience in my life led me this way."

Broderick models her goals after the University's teachings.

"I want to build a community, and help instill the Holy Cross care-ism," Broderick said. "I want to educate the heart and mind."

Both want to stress the idea of "home" in the dorms.

"This is home, it is comfortable and fun to be here," D'Amelio said. "We'll always be welcoming and just be there [for the girls]."

"They can come in here and feel safe," Broderick said. "Not just security safe - they can let their guard down and be honored and loved because of who they are."