Perusing Vogue's "The September Issue"

She commands a $300 billion fashion industry and oversees every aspect of the world-renowned "American Vogue" magazine. Anna Wintour is "Vogue"'s editor-in chief and has been since she started working for "Vogue" in 1988. Hidden behind her trademark bob and sunglasses, she was born into a publishing family and followed in her father's footsteps. Anna Wintour embodies the perfection, class and elegance that inspired the making of the movie "The Devil Wears Prada" and the newest movie release, "The September Issue." 

This new feature film invites the public into the New York offices of "Vogue" where viewers get raw footage and experience the cutthroat industry of fashion. Through the eyes of director R.J Cutler we follow the strenuous planning and development of the largest magazine issue ever released, hence the title, "The September Issue." This issue of the magazine has been known to weigh over four pounds and has embraced up to 800 pages between the magazine's thick spine. "Vogue" covers anything and everything from fashion spreads and glamour ads to the unforgettable stories that pertain to high fashion and high society. "Vogue" has been a power house for all fashion magazines and has been referred to as the "fashion bible." With the limited release of "The September Issue" in August, viewers flocked to the magazine Mecca of the world, New York, where it was showing for the first time. 

Audiences finally get a taste of what it would be like to work for the largest fashion and lifestyle magazine in the world. Director R.J Cutler goes into unknown territory and delivers brilliant and compelling new material. Everyone from fashion designers to interns are exposed in this film and it gives audiences a clear picture of what working for a high profile publication like "Vogue" would really be like. The movie has already won a Cinematography Award from the Sundance Film Festival and was nominated for the Grand Jury Prize for R.J Cutler's direction with the film. 

"The September Issue" starring Wintour did an amazing job capturing her in all of her glory with every outfit, attitude and snide remark that makes her so memorable and entertaining. Anna Wintour is known for her brutal, blunt and brilliant criticism which ultimately shines through in her evident work with the magazine. Being chief editor for over two decades proves to readers and designers that Wintour knows what she is talking about. Anna surrounds herself with a cast and crew made up of her closest colleagues, including Grace Coddington, former model and current creative director, fashion designer Thakoon and of course her trusted partner in style Andre Leon Talley, editor-at large for "Vogue." The movie documents the entire production and drama that goes into designing and beautifying the much anticipated issue of the year.

Wintour is followed by a dedicated dream team of qualified interns who generate ideas and assist her in making her vision a reality monthly. The documentary portrays "Vogue" as an empire that takes every single dress fitting and page layout very seriously. Looking at an issue of "Vogue," it's hard not to notice the exquisite detail and creative article topics that make it so unique and impressive. The cameras follow Wintour and her team as they quickly and efficiently get ready for the fall fashion season. Each and every fashion designer want an item of their clothing in the magazine and await cautiously for Wintour's harsh critiques that have ultimately molded what the fashion industry stands for today. From the runway to her long office hallway, Anna Wintour will be found wherever fashion might take her.

The movie initially showed in major cities, including Chicago, Los Angeles and New York, where it tackled large crowds and eventually made its way to surrounding cities. It is currently playing locally in Chicago at the River East 21, Landmark's Century Centre Cinema - Evanston, CineArts 6 - Evanston, Northbrook Court 14 - Northbrook, and Indianapolis.