Saint Mary's first years adjust to life on campus

After spending a little over two weeks on campus, some Saint Mary's first year students are starting to find their niches while others struggle with the transition to college life.

"I really like it," first year Cecelia Gatto said. "I feel like there's a lot to offer to get involved in."

Like Gatto, Bonnie Sanders also has a positive outlook on college life.

"I like my classes," Sanders said. "The campus is beautiful. I just like how close knit it is."

However, some first years did have some negative first impressions of the College.

"All through high school, all through when I was younger, I always had boys as best friends, so all girls is kind of hard." Samantha Brady said. "I don't like the lack of variety in the dining hall food. And I can't have a microwave in my room. I don't like to have to pay for laundry."

Although most students have enjoyed their time on campus so far, some are having a hard time adjusting to their new academic experiences.

"I love the atmosphere. I think the people here are really friendly and nice, but I just haven't adjusted academically yet," Emily Reeg said. "It's so different than high school. I just hope that I can adjust soon."

One reason some students are struggling with classes is the distinct difference between high school and college.

"It's really different from high school. It's really fast paced and you have to keep up," Meghan Feasel said.

Others agreed that classes at the College were considerably different from high school.

"[I am] still getting used to doing homework and getting enough sleep. In high school that wasn't a big deal. You didn't get much homework. Here, every class expects you to do a lot of homework. I've been staying up late trying to get all that done," Sanders said.

Though many have had some issues with classes, Gatto said that she enjoys most of hers.

"I love going to all my classes," Gatto said. "My teachers are all so nice and when I go to class I feel comfortable being myself."

Overall, first year students have had pleasant experiences while attending Saint Mary's.

"I enjoy meeting new people and it feels good to walk outside and see so many people you know and just say 'Hi,'" Reeg said. "It's like a friendly warm feeling."