SGA discusses visibility

Saint Mary's Student Government Association (SGA) Board members decided to make themselves more transparent and visible to the student body at their meeting Monday night.

"I think last year one of our main issues had to do with a lack of transparency within our organization. My hope this year is that by communication students will be more aware of us and place their trust in us," student body president Jenny Hoffman said.

Ideas to get the word out about SGA, who they are, and what they do include making a Facebook page. The page would include links to the SGA ?Web site and event calendar as well as posting reminders about events around campus that would appear on the news feeds of Facebook fans or friends. Public Relations Commissioner Caitlin O'Brien and Off-Campus Coordinator Lauren Theiss hope to have the Facebook page up and running by the beginning of next week.

Other potential efforts include: an SGA promotional video in the dining hall, breakfasts to meet and get to know the SGA board and the increase of word of mouth. Board members are all looking to find new ways to reach the students without adding to the barrage of e-mails that already fill their inboxes.

"Student government is only as strong as its students," Hoffman said. "With more participation from the student body we can be even better."

Women's Issues Commissioner Mia Ravasi, is working with the Women's Heath Center to possibly have additional times when students can see doctors, specifically gynecologists.

"I heard people complaining that we are an all women's school and we don't have a gynecologist readily available to students. One day a week isn't very acceptable." Ravasio said. "I just thought there was a need on campus for students."

Currently students can make appointments to see the gynecologist between the hours of 9-11 am on Tuesday mornings, Ravasio said. Since doctors come to Saint Mary's on their time off from their regular offices it might be difficult to get additional times.

The Women's Heath Center is ready to make themselves available to help students. They offer STD testing now as well as setting up a booth in the dining hall every Thursday to answer questions on everything from the gynecologist to strep throat, Ravasio said.

Saint Mary's T-shirts will be sold in the Student Center atrium this coming Wednesday through the following Tuesday. The thermos style cups that can be taken in the dining hall are on order and SGA hopes to have them for sale by October, vice-president Megan Griffin said.