SMC Golf: Belles host tourney at Warren

No. 15 Saint Mary's will compete in its second match of the fall season as they host the O'Brien Division III Championships at the Warren Golf Course at Notre Dame Sunday and Monday. Among the 10 competitors is Methodist University of Fayetteville, NC, who has won NCAA Division III title the past 11 years.

The Belles took tenth at the NCAA tournament last spring, and have many of their top golfers from last season returning this year, including juniors Mary Kate Boyce and MIAA Season Medalist and All-MIAA First Team honoree Rosie O'Connor. Also returning this year is sophomore Natalie Matuszak who earned All-MIAA second team honors last fall.

In their season opener, Saint Mary's took second at the Trine Fall Invitational behind Division II leader University of Indianapolis with a two-round score of 645 to the Greyhounds' 621.

Freshman Martyna Mierzwa got her season off to a strong start with a final score of 155 after shooting 76 the first day and a 79 the second. The Ponzan, Poland, native tied for third in the Invitational.

Boyce followed her with two-round score of 160 off her 79 then 81 on the second day for a ninth place finish. Matuszak shot an 82 both days to tie her in 11th with a 162. O'Connor shot an 84 the first day, but came back with an 82 to finish 13th with a 166, and sophomore Christine Brown finished the weekend with a 174 to tie her in 20th.

Saint Mary's hopes to continue on their successful run since placing tenth at Nationals in the spring, and are working towards recapturing the MIAA Championship. The Belles held the title from 2002-2005, but have seen No. 10 Olivet in their place the last three seasons.

Saint Mary's will begin their conference competitions Sept. 17 with a match at Albion.