Dance Marathon raises money

Fundraising efforts are underway for Saint Mary's Dance Marathon as students work to put on the College's annual event to benefits the Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis.

The event will take place in March.

EMX — Greek for SMC — apparel and coupon booklets sales in addition to a Give-Back Night at Five Guys Burgers and Fries took place Wednesday night.

EMX sweatshirts, sweatpants and shirts are on sale this week.

"Our EMX has always been a very successful fundraiser for us and this year is no exception," senior Kelly Deranek said. "We have had over 200 orders so far and we still haven't finished the sale as of yet. "

The Dance Marathon organization is also selling coupon booklets for $10 each that include over $1,000 worth of savings for the South Bend and Mishawaka area. The books contain a free tanning session, a car wash, money for local restaurants and more, Deranek said.  

According to Deranek, the Marathon's most successful fundraiser is the Letter Writing Campaign. When the dancers register for the Marathon, they turn in a list of addresses.  The people on the list receive letters asking if they would sponsor that specific dancer.

This is one way, besides the actual marathon that will take place March 26 and 27 from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m., that the dancers can help raise money.

"Since our Marathon is a benefit event, we urge our Dancers to get involved in the cause and to help fundraise themselves," Deranek said.

Dance Marathon will continue to raise money, although there is no set goal for this year.
"We don't have a goal for our total this year," Deranek said. "Any money we raise is money the hospital would not have had otherwise.  Of course, we do hope to surpass last year's total of over $91,000, but any check we could provide the hospital at the end of the year is a success on our part."

Other fundraisers for this semester include a White House Black Market on Nov. 8, a Give-Back Night at Hacienda on Nov. 4 and a Fannie May chocolate fundraiser.

A Salon Night, a Tie Dye Night and a Purse Party will take place in November.
In December, Dance Marathon will be holding a Santa Breakfast for students and the community.

The Dec. 12 Notre Dame Women's Basketball game is known as "Riley Day," and Dance Marathon will raise money at the game.

"We will be there passing out information about our organization, Riley Hospital, and helping out with a halftime fundraiser and event," Deranek said.